Saturday, July 13, 2013

Progress

Yesterday morning was rough and I was having somewhat of a pity party for myself. I was struggling with guilt, frustration, anger and a plethora of other emotions that are becoming all too familiar on this roller coaster we've been on...even on the best days sometimes these feelings find a way to creep in. I was cleaning up the house, doing laundry and packing our bags for another return trip - I was worn out and just wanted a nap. Then the hospital called to give me an update. 

The doctor/resident/med student - I'm not even sure anymore, there are so many people following his case - said they had further weaned his oxygen down from 4 lpm to 2 lpm and would let him breastfeed that afternoon. I have been exclusively pumping since Sutton was born, so this was a giant ray of sunshine and just the pick-me-up I needed to put me back in thankful spirits. 

He ended up needing to go back up to 4 lpm later that afternoon, but staff still agreed to let me nurse since he had interest in the pacifier even with the humidified oxygen shooting water up his little nose. He did GREAT! Nursing the second time around is definitely easier; our major issue is keeping a sleepy new baby alert enough to feed. But we'll get there. He was also getting partial feeds through his NGT since our biggest objective right now is weight gain, but he has eaten so well today that they are now letting us nurse on demand! The NGT will remain in place so that he can be fed when I am absent. Once breastfeeding is well established, the NGT will be removed and he can have bottled breast milk. 




Sutton is back up to birthweight and gaining, so we are headed in the right direction. This morning his oxygen was removed completely and his vital signs have remained stable - even during feedings. 

Against my better (superstitious nursing) judgement, I asked about discharge planning. The NICU docs said they have no immediate plans, but we will further discuss this with them and his ENT physicians during morning rounds. Our hope is that, if everything continues as it has been for the past few days, we could be home late next week. 

1 comment:

  1. Yay for nursing Melissa! Hang in there!! This makes me so happy!

    Love,
    Molly

    ReplyDelete