Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fire drill

Some if you may not appreciate this as much as others, but one of the most daunting things about having a newborn is the significant lack of sleep. When they wake in the middle of the night to nurse, there is incentive to get out of bed and feed them. However, I have been waking to an alarm every 3 hours around the clock for the past 10 days. Couple that with the surprise nature of our situation and traveling 2 hours away from home to be with Sutton and you have one exhausted mama. Needless to say, it's very hard not to ignore my phone alarm in the middle of the night and go back to sleep. However, I am mass producing milk - about 4 feedings worth at every pumping (that may be TMI for some of you, sorry!) so I allow myself one 4 hour stretch in the middle of the night just to get a little extra sleep. 

Last night, almost exactly on the mark of hour 3 on my 4 hour block, the fire alarm goes off at our hotel!



By the time we got back to our room, I was pretty close to my 4 hour mark so I lost out on a little extra sleep last night. At least I got a little nap in on our way back home this afternoon! ;)


1 comment:

  1. Reading your blog and praying for you. I am Kay VanMeter Robbins. I went to school with David Busch in Odessa, Mo. I met Kay when we were in a sorority in Odessa. My sister Doris Carter Cox taught school at Richmond, MO for many years.
    I will continue to pray for each of you.

    ReplyDelete