Thursday, August 1, 2013

Our first week at home

Last Thursday, July 25th, we were set free from St. Louis Children's Hospital! We were set up with home health and a follow up with our pediatrician so, despite being in our home setting, Sutton has been monitored pretty closely. At his home health visit today he weighed in at 8 lbs 14 oz - he is continuing to gain about an ounce a day.

Next week we will return to SLCH for at least an overnight visit for a follow up bronchoscopy. The ENT team wants to be sure that with consistent weight gain the area of exposed cartilage in his throat is healing. At his second look (while still in the NICU) the cartilage was not healing, but the docs attributed that to his on again, off again NPO status. This visit will be strange for many reasons: first, it is planned and second, he will not be in the NICU with the nurses and staff we spent his first four and a half weeks getting to know. It will be a whole new crew. Hopefully, our overnight visit won't get unexpectedly hijacked into a longer stay and we will only have 24 hours to make new friends.

Being at home with two kids has been....dynamic. In many ways I think the transition to two has been easier given the situation because when I feel overwhelmed I just remember that I am at home. With both of my kids. And everyone is healthy. This usually leaves me feeling very grateful and puts me back in the right perspective to enjoy my boys. But sometimes its just overwhelming. Let me rephrase; sometimes Cohen is overwhelming. He wants to be SO helpful (and I love his enthusiasm), but he's like a bull in a china shop. Plus, he flat out refuses to nap despite heavy eyes and long, drawn out yawns. Sutton, fortunately, doesn't seem bothered by his brothers rough love or loud screeches and only pipes up when he's hungry or gassy. Did I mention he has been sleeping in five hour blocks the past few nights? Talk about a flexible kid! I suppose all of this is normal in this transition, but it will certainly take some getting used to.

Regardless, we are all HOME. Thank you God!





1 comment:

  1. Cohen looks very happy to be a big brother. Yes, it's a busy busy adventure with 2!!

    ReplyDelete