Thursday, August 8, 2013

Germaphobe

As we sit waiting for Sutton to move into recovery I thought I would write a post about my crazy, newly developed germaphobia. 

Since Sutton's condition involves his lymph system, he has the potential to have his airway compromised by something as simple as the common cold. All of us have had swollen lymph nodes at some point or another and, in someone without a cystic hygroma, this is no big deal. However, the hygroma is already compromising Sutton's airway - his trachea is still deviated even though he is able to breathe on his own - and further compromise from swollen lymph nodes could lead to another intubation or a potential tracheotomy. Both are things I don't want my sweet boy to have to endure. 

I say all that to say this: Please do not touch my baby without washing your hands. Don't grab his hands when you see us out in public or touch his sweet little face. You see, I'm now a germaphobe where he is concerned. I have a grubby, boogery two year old that I'm trying to keep from infecting him and I don't want to have to contend with strangers germs too. I have no problem with people wanting to love on my little, you just have to be clean (and not washed-my-hands-5-minutes-ago-but-I've-touched-8-doorknobs-and-3-elevator-buttons-since-then clean) to do it. 

If you're worried you'll forget and feel compelled to touch without washing, don't fret. I got a reminder sign just for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment