Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Saying goodbye to Emma

At the end of May, we took Cohen to the beach for the first time. We left Oscar and Emma in Springfield with my parents so they could play with their favorite playmates, Bella (my parent's dog) and Fran (Jon's dog).

Unfortunately, on my birthday Emma found a small hole in the fence in their backyard and decided she would go exploring. Since my parents live on the corner lot of the main street in their neighborhood, it didn't take long for a car to come by. Fortunately, the driver was kind enough to stop and track down my family so Emma was at the emergency care clinic within 20 minutes or so. Initially she began to show improvement, but with only head trauma they had to wait to see how serious things would be. After the first 24 hours had passed her condition began to decline rapidly and Kedric and I decided that it would be best for her if we let her go.

Not being with her was a huge struggle, but we got to speak with her and much of my family was with her. I think not being with her let us off a little easy -- my family had to watch her suffer, we didn't. And Cohen had already been away from his little mama for a few days at that point. He really hasn't seemed to notice her absence, but we do. And so does Oscar.

Initially we had no intention of getting another dog right now, but Oscar seems lost without Emma to bark at him incessantly. So, we have been in touch with the breeder that we got both Oscar and Emma from. We shall see what the coming months bring....

Here are a few pictures of Emmie girl over the years -- I didn't realize we had taken them with us to so many of our professional pics!

Photo by Clark+Walker Studios
Photo by Stella Studios




Photo by Stella Studios

1 comment:

  1. Little Emma will be missed :( Such sweet pictures you have of her with you all!

    ReplyDelete