Tuesday, October 21, 2014

More progress!

I haven't written an update since Sutton's discharge from SLCH because it seems that every day things progress and change a little. Plus, a small part of me holds my breath at each and every meal that he isn't going to backslide. It's been a rough ride and I find my eternal optimism a little more challenging to dig out some days.

Sutton has progressed to taking in all calories and some fluids by mouth!! We are still doing medicine and water flushes through his button, but for the past two weeks or so he has not had ONE. SINGLE. TUBE FEED. This is huge. I even gave him a little snack while we were playing on the floor today and everything about it was wonderful. It felt so blissfully normal -- and it seems like ages since things have felt that way. Next week at his follow up with ENT I will address what parameters they are wanting to see to have the button removed.

Kedric and I had a long discussion the other night about how the last four months have felt like an eternity. They have been physically, emotionally and mentally draining with fluid and ever-changing expectations. When we collaborated with the medical team for a surgery date, part of it was so I would be able to provide any extra care Sutton might need in the post-op period without the demands of a newborn. We had no idea what we would be in for in the weeks and months that followed. And, if I'm being honest, I was beginning to dread bringing a newborn home because of all of the additional responsibilities we already had and how taxing things were feeling. But it seems we were guided in the right direction on timing because, as I enter the last month of my pregnancy, Sutton has made such a dramatic progression in getting back to his pre-surgery self that I'm getting excited for all that will come.

We are so grateful for this swift transition back into normalcy and thankful that the situations we have been given have been temporary. Because, in the course of our lives, four months isn't that long. It feels like forever, but it's not. And I look at my children and I'm so humbled at their flexibility and endurance through all of this, with far less devastation and complaints than were being heard from me. I am just so baffled at both Cohen and Sutton's ability to take this all in stride -- I am learning so much from them.



1 comment: