Saturday, March 31, 2012

Catching up

If you haven't noticed, it's been a while since my last post. Practicum has been taking over most of my free time and being at the hospital full time, managing school work, and being mommy hasn't left much time to post! Fortunately, I completed my practicum on Wednesday which allows for much more family time and catching up on things like blogging.

Now the task at hand is finding me a job. All of my applications at the Columbia hospitals have been submitted, but because of the job market I am going to apply to the hospitals in Jefferson City (about 45 minutes away) as well. I would really like to be in the Intensive Care Nursery (ICN -- same as the NICU) at Boone Hospital, which is where I had Cohen, so I have been shadowing there when I can.

I have really enjoyed my time on Medical Oncology during practicum, though as one might suspect, it is a very difficult place to work. I have watched people my age be diagnosed and have a poor prognosis, patients that I have cared for die, and really learned a lot about what death means and what my place is in caring for these patients. If I were to work with adults I would prefer to be on a Medical Oncology floor because it is totally different from a Med-Surg floor. However, I LOVE BABIES. I have shadowed labor and delivery, postpartum, well baby, pediatrics, and the ICN and I would love to be anywhere the babies are. I find the more critical cases more interesting, but I'll take the babies wherever I can get them! :)

That is what is happening with me as our family transitions to "the real world" after so much time in school. We are all excited to see what the next few months hold and enjoy Cohen's first birthday without the weight of school work and other obligations related to that. I will still need to sit for boards, but that won't be until June at the earliest. Can you believe it's almost been a year already? Where did the time go?!

No comments:

Post a Comment